The interscholastic athletic program at Exeter embodies the school’s core values: knowledge and goodness integrated. Our program, grounded in integrity, promotes character development and collaboration. We believe that athletic competition is a powerful teacher. Physical and mental challenges in a team context offer athletes the opportunity to develop leadership skills, self–confidence and a commitment to others that will inspire them to lead productive and active lives.
- Measure the success of our program by the degree to which individuals and teams embody the core values of the mission statement.
- Staff teams with coaches of good character, with competence in teaching technical skills and who possess the ability to motivate and relate positively to student athletes and adults.
- Celebrate the joy of competition and the benefits of physical fitness.
- Develop individual athletes and teams that are constantly improving, hard–working, disciplined and schooled in the fundamental aspects of their sport.
- Allocate equipment and resources to support the mission of the program equitably and appropriately for participants of each gender at all skill levels.
- Provide a safe environment for all athletic activities.
- Produce teams that are competitive and strive to win.
- Offer a variety of team sports and encourage a breadth of athletic experiences.
- Expect all members of the Phillips Exeter Academy community to demonstrate respect for opponents, officials and the rules of competition.
- Develop in athletes an appreciation for the specific traditions, rules and cultures of their sport.
- Build healthy, enjoyable and supportive team environments based on trust with no tolerance for hazing.